Skip to main content

Why do you have hair?

Why do you still have hair?

Oh, no! My automatic Nulesta shot did not go off on time.  At my last treatment the automatic injector did a final countdown for a full minute or so… tic tic tic tic and then, I was injected with the medicine. This week it did not ring at all. So, I called the 1-800 number and was ordered to take it off and go see the Dr. the next day. So, no need to rush to the ER, thankfully.
 I got off the phone and immidiatly passed out until the next morning.
On Monday morning,  I removed the sticker shot without checking the fill line, and tossed it in a Ziploc bag, and  then placed it in my briefcase and went to work.

I was completely wiped and I was barely able to hold my eyes open all day Monday. I scheduled an appointment with Oncology to get my shot manually, since the automated injector did not go off. I drove myself to the Dr. the drive was hard because I was so tired my eyes did not want to stay open.
The nurse in oncology, I call her the Queen because she is the leader nurse bee. The Queen was not satisfied that the shot malfunctioned. I recapped to her what happened, and compared the experience to the previous week’s automatic injection. It was very different, and it never went off.  The Queen did not want to give me another shot. The fill line was on empty and there was no juice in the Ziploc bag. So, she was convinced it went inside me.

“Whatever!” I exclaimed, I revert to a snotty teen at times when I’m tired and annoyed. The Queen told me I could come back in a week and they would check my white blood cells. And she wanted me to wait another half hour to get clearance from Dr. Varghese, who was with another patient at the time.
 The Queen then asked me. “Why do you have hair?” where I replied “shit, IDK, I guess it likes me?” she seemed confused by my response. I told her I would get in touch with her next week, because I need to go home now. I was completely exhausted.

The nausea has not been as bad as the first chemo treatment, but this lethargic feeling is ridiculous, I slept almost all day Sunday and Monday too, today is Tuesday, and I feel like I could crawl under my covers and sleep through the week. Zzzzzzz…

My hair is slowly falling out, my scalp is tingly, but it’s not painful yet like the way Mr. Dan America said it would feel. I tried on a couple of wigs at the Women’s Health Boutique and I was told that the cheaper of the wigs would be covered by my insurance. Yeah! It's got some pretty red hi-lights.
I could be a red head.



 I wore a wig once, which I made from yellow yarn for a Rainbow Bright Halloween costume, but it was a total mess by the end of the night. For Junior prom, I went to the wig store off 23rd street and bought myself a weave, which I  used to make renaissance styled princess Leah buns. The gals who worked at the store were really helpful, but I think they were confused about how and why I was shopping at their store.
 I have  worn a few wigs out at parties, but they never stayed in place for the whole night. I guess I should choose a few wigs to wear, like normal ones for the office and fancy colors for days that I feel more inspired. It would be fun to wear a purple mermaid hair style, but I feel like I may have already been there done that. I dyed my hair weekly during my teens, Im unsure if the raver/punk style is me anymore. I may have grown out of the flashy flash colors and styles.


This wig reminds me of of a style I had during my early twenties, but a bit more polished. The classic inverted bob.


This blond wig reminds me of my sister Rachael’s hair. I've always wanted curls, they say it could change textures, and colors when it grows back, fingers crossed for more body and curls for the regrowth . B L O N D idk...

https://www.gofundme.com/BoobCancerSucks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm going to miss this little guy.

This is a chemo week, on Friday I’ll be getting my third knock out round of Adriamycin and Cytoxan drugs.   My treatments are every other Friday. One more round of the A&C combo and then I get to look forward to five rounds of Taxol. If the treatments follow the schedule I’ll be finished by my 37th birthday, the first week of July. My last round of chemo will be on the 4th of July. So at least I might be able to enjoy my ice cream cake before nausea takes over. Chemo is preventative, just like my preventative bilateral mastectomy. The chemo should lower my statistical predisposition to the cancer reemerge. Dr. Dureka, the first Oncologist that I saw at OU, said the statistical likelihood of cancer coming back is upwards to 60% likely without chemo, but with chemo and possibly radiation following the stats drop to 30%. It’s like a choose your own adventure book with every new Dr. visit. Maybe this next visit will send me to someplace tropical with warm sands and beautiful clear

Jump!

I could use a vacation from these treatments. I'm trying to keep the glass half full, but all these bitches (friends <3 I love) are taking vacations to the beach, and I can't help but feel dumpy and jealous.   The travel bug has got a hold of me and I wish I was not plugged into this treatment plan for another three months. It feels like I'm wasting my life away with all the mundane trips to the Dr. to get poisoned and then recovering from the poisoning just to get poisoned again.  Just four more treatments! We spent Saturday at Turner Falls, not quite the beach, but I got my nature fix. I was able to spend time away from home and had a nice adventure with my love. The trip was to see John Waters do a talk at the Ada film festival; patting myself on the back for seeing all his films. Traveling across the state through Oklahoma spring thunderstorms was an adventure in itself. The storm left the valley floor flooded at the falls, so we were not able to

The Best Dahl you have ever had

Soak two cups of red lentils, rinse them until foamy water runs clear.   1 tsp of coconut oil    One small yellow onion   Two garlic cloves   A pinky nub of ginger & a nub of fresh turmeric root diced fine.  Sauté in a heavy cast iron dutch oven until the onion is almost transparent. Add the Lentils and Three cups of water and cook the beans until liquid is almost gone and Stir in   1 can of coconut milk   1Tbsp of gram masala spice Season with salt, pepper, and parsley leaf. I put the Dahl over rice and topped it with sautéed leek, squash, yellow peppers, and shrimp.