Skip to main content

It's a very nice hair cut

My mother said that I had the most beautiful shaped head of all her daughters. Tomorrow I begin Chemo treatments to prevent the spread of breast cancer throughout my body. I was diagnosed with stage three breast cancer in January. I was able to stop the spread by removing my breasts and about 27 lymph nodes living underneath my right arm. Now my right arm will be forever susceptible to circulation loss so I will be unable to use tourniquets or needles on the right side ever again. Having chemo treatments is another prophylactic treatment, like my decision to remove my left breast to reduce the risk of the cancer spreading throughout my body. I can reduce the risk from 60% to about 30% by having chemotherapy for the next four months. I hope my 36-year-old head is still as beautiful as my baby cranium was back in the day.

I needed to remove the right breast to remove all of the cancer, I had her take the left too because how ridiculous would it look to have just the one size 36 H tit hanging off my chest. Cancer is completely unreasonable and the effects of chemotherapy will be nothing less than a complete havoc reaping to all my protons and neutrons. From my hormones to my heart to my hair, my whole body is about to be fucked with hard.  I will have to have hormone therapy for the rest of my life to regulate my estrogen levels. Well kids, I am beginning to find that cancer is not an easy fix, I can’t just cut it out and be finished with it. This cancer will be reverberating through my life forever.
Estrogen receptors are found on adrenals glands, skin, bone marrow, and of course the ovaries. Because the cancer is estrogen hormone positive I can’t eat estrogen filled foods like tofu and beets. I really like tofu, I’m vegetarian and I like to have a tofu kabassa dog at a barbq sometimes. But removing my ovaries could be a solution for my body, I would produce less estrogen and could avoid taking Tamoxifen another havoc reaping drug for the next five to ten years. I would go through early menopause, which means no more period and no babies.

I hope my head is still the prettiest of them all. I guess I’ll have to get a haircut to know.
I’ve had short hair I had a pixie cut with little spit curls in my punk/raver days. The inverted bob was all the rage in the 90’s. I’ve died my hair every color in the rainbow, and once I even did rainbow stripes through my hair.  I have never ever gone all the way and shaved my head. Never, not my own head. I did fuck up my friend little Erin’s hair giving her a Mohawk when we were teenagers. It was kind of shocking to me that she trusted me to cut it in the first place. We ended up begging my sister Rae to help us save her haircut, but she was not capable to do much with the uneven mess that I had made. We ended up shaving it all off anyway.

My hair now is the longest it's ever been in my life. Long hair is the style these days, and I like my hair long. But,  It's just hair. I’m considering cutting it and donating to Locks of love or Pantene. Both are organizations that will make a wig from my hair for sick people, like me I guess, who lose their hair. My sister Sarah asked me to could get a wig made from my own hair. IDK, I guess I should google it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm going to miss this little guy.

This is a chemo week, on Friday I’ll be getting my third knock out round of Adriamycin and Cytoxan drugs.   My treatments are every other Friday. One more round of the A&C combo and then I get to look forward to five rounds of Taxol. If the treatments follow the schedule I’ll be finished by my 37th birthday, the first week of July. My last round of chemo will be on the 4th of July. So at least I might be able to enjoy my ice cream cake before nausea takes over. Chemo is preventative, just like my preventative bilateral mastectomy. The chemo should lower my statistical predisposition to the cancer reemerge. Dr. Dureka, the first Oncologist that I saw at OU, said the statistical likelihood of cancer coming back is upwards to 60% likely without chemo, but with chemo and possibly radiation following the stats drop to 30%. It’s like a choose your own adventure book with every new Dr. visit. Maybe this next visit will send me to someplace tropical with warm sands and beautiful clear

Jump!

I could use a vacation from these treatments. I'm trying to keep the glass half full, but all these bitches (friends <3 I love) are taking vacations to the beach, and I can't help but feel dumpy and jealous.   The travel bug has got a hold of me and I wish I was not plugged into this treatment plan for another three months. It feels like I'm wasting my life away with all the mundane trips to the Dr. to get poisoned and then recovering from the poisoning just to get poisoned again.  Just four more treatments! We spent Saturday at Turner Falls, not quite the beach, but I got my nature fix. I was able to spend time away from home and had a nice adventure with my love. The trip was to see John Waters do a talk at the Ada film festival; patting myself on the back for seeing all his films. Traveling across the state through Oklahoma spring thunderstorms was an adventure in itself. The storm left the valley floor flooded at the falls, so we were not able to

The Best Dahl you have ever had

Soak two cups of red lentils, rinse them until foamy water runs clear.   1 tsp of coconut oil    One small yellow onion   Two garlic cloves   A pinky nub of ginger & a nub of fresh turmeric root diced fine.  Sauté in a heavy cast iron dutch oven until the onion is almost transparent. Add the Lentils and Three cups of water and cook the beans until liquid is almost gone and Stir in   1 can of coconut milk   1Tbsp of gram masala spice Season with salt, pepper, and parsley leaf. I put the Dahl over rice and topped it with sautéed leek, squash, yellow peppers, and shrimp.